Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I've Got Spirit How About You?!

Oh spirit week! How I have missed the excitement leading up to homecoming, the dressing up, the skits, the decorated hallways, and of course the big game! 
This week we are celebrating spirit week at school and I could not be more thrilled! My outfits were picked out a week before hand and I have just been waiting for the chance to rock my fashionable twists on the themes. It wasn't too long ago that I was in high school with my face painted blue, dancing around the gym as the genie in our Aladdin themed spirit skit (just over 5 years ago to be exact). I have always had big school spirit. I don't think I ever missed an "orange Friday" in high school, so how have I incorporated school spirit into my classroom?
Well since it is spirit week I have cut back on the homework (good for them and me!) and given my students a chance to interact with their community and get more involved. With the removal of homework for the week I expect them to be getting dressed up, helping with their class skit, and enjoying the homecoming activities that make high school so special. Students with special needs are not always included in these activities and I want to ensure that they are getting the full high school experience, as well as feeling more comfortable in their school! 
With the stress of the quarter ending (yes our first quarter has ended already!), unit tests being taken, and the plethora of IEPs in recent weeks has created a group of grumpy and stressed out teenagers, oh and how could I forget the icky cold going around!? So it's about time that these kids had some fun and took a deep breath. Throughout this week I have seen the smiles creep back across their faces, their posture straighten up a bit, and the room feels a bit lighter again, having a student dressed as an oompa loompa may have greatly helped this too! 
I have such a great appreciation for what homecoming brings to the school setting. October is the longest month of the school year for practically every teacher (besides the ones lucky enough to have a fall break), so homecoming breaks up this long trek and brings some good energy to the classroom. 
So here is to spirit week! My favorite week of school, thank you for bringing joy to the students, making high school a bit more enjoyable, and thank you for letting me relive some of my favorite memories! 
Below are some of my outfit choices for this years spirit week! Let me know what you think!
 Sophomores and the Chocolate Factory
Indiana Juniors

Want to see more pictures of my spirit week ensembles? follow me on INSTAGRAM!

 photo Blogsignature_zps2db489c8.png

No comments:

Post a Comment